Dave McMullen focuses in Joomla Website Design. The Joomla CMS allows website owners and designated users to easily add, update, and delete content and web pages on their site using a web browser such as Internet Explorer or Firefox. Joomla is award-winning, cutting-edge technology that provides its users with extremely powerful and flexible tools to develop and maintain your website.
What is Joomla?
Joomla is an award-winning content management system (CMS), which enables building Web sites and powerful online applications. Many aspects, including its ease-of-use and extensibility, have made Joomla the most popular Web site software available. Best of all, Joomla is an open source solution that is freely available to everyone.
What's a content management system (CMS)?
A content management system is software that keeps track of every piece of content on your Web site, much like your local public library keeps track of books and stores them. Content can be simple text, photos, music, video, documents, or just about anything you can think of. A major advantage of using a CMS is that it requires almost no technical skill or knowledge to manage. Since the CMS manages all your content, you don't have to.
What can I do with a content management system?
- Add pages on the fly.
- Create newsletters.
- Blog til your heart's content.
- Create a gallery or portfolio.
- Add e-commerce and maintain your products and prices easily.
- Import and export RSS feeds.
- Mass mail.
- Create a link directory.
- Dynamic Forms
- ...just about anything you can imagine.
What are some real world examples of what Joomla! can do?
Joomla is used all over the world to power Web sites of all shapes and sizes. For example:
- Corporate Web sites or portals
- Corporate intranets and extranets
- Online magazines, newspapers, and publications
- E-commerce and online reservations
- Government applications
- Small business Web sites
- Non-profit and organizational Web sites
- Community-based portals
- School and church Web sites
- Personal or family homepages
Who uses Joomla?
Here are just a few examples of Web sites that use Joomla:
- MTV Networks Quizilla (Social networking) - http://www.quizilla.com
- IHOP (Restaurant chain) - http://www.ihop.com
- Harvard University (Educational) - http://gsas.harvard.edu
- Citibank (Financial institution intranet) - Not publicly accessible
- The Green Maven (Eco-resources) - http://www.greenmaven.com
- Outdoor Photographer (Magazine) - http://www.outdoorphotographer.com
- PlayShakespeare.com (Cultural) - http://www.playshakespeare.com
How can I be sure there will be Joomla! support in the future?
Joomla is the most popular open source CMS currently available as evidenced by a vibrant and growing community of friendly users and talented developers. Joomla's roots go back to 2000 and, with over 200,000 community users and contributors, the future looks bright for the award-winning Joomla Project.